Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bye-Bye Binky (I hope)

So, Lyndie has had a binky for way too long and I need to get her off of it.  I read an idea online about how one mom bagged up all the binkies in the house and took her child to Build-A-Bear to "exchange" them for a bear. I am desparate, so I though we would try it.


After taking Logan to preschool, we went home and I told her what we were doing and that we needed to go find all of her binkies. When she found the first binky, I told her to put it in the bag and she turned and yelled "No! My Binky!" and ran into her room, slammed the door and sat on Mallory's bed. (Off to a great start)

After I bagged up all her binkies, we headed off for the mall. She picked out this bear all on her own and then we got it stuffed and while stuffing it the lady suggested Lyndie put her binkies inside the bear. I was shocked she did it, but she did and then we got her dressed and named her "Binky". I thought that was appropriate.

When we got home, she would not hold the bear to have a picture with it, so I am holding it next to her in the photo. On the way home I saw her turn the bear over and look for the hole that the binkies were in and I think she is mad at the bear for not giving them back to her.

I just laid her down for a nap and she has been asking for a binky now for an hour from her room. I gave her the bear to hold instead, but she still won't touch it now. Oh, well. Life as a mom was never supposed to be easy, only worth it one day....hopefully. If Lyndie ends up in therapy because I took her binky away, I will accept full responsibility.

3 comments:

Cara said...

This is a major thing for a little girl to go through. Give her some time and she will forget all about it. She'll even come to love the bear and what it means. You can't give up after only an hour! Besides, now that you've stuffed the bear with all of her binkies she can't go back to it...unless YOU buy her a new one. Don't give up, just give time.

PNRBAC said...

What a great idea!! Rachel was stuck on the binki too but one night we lost it. She had to go to bed without it (that was a hard night). The next morning my husband and I found it before she woke up and decided to "leave it lost". She's done well ever since. I like the binky bear idea though!

Luv your guts said...

Hey I just thought you should know that I go to your blog everyday just to listen to your music selection... Thanks